As the entry-level Acura, the Integra embodies all the virtues that have established Acura as the number one luxury import brand in the U.S. market. It features superb road manners and excellent handling, an advanced powertrain, an aerodynamic exterior shape and a comfortable, ergonomic cockpit designed to make driving enjoyable and safe. The Integra, like all Acura automobiles, is dedicated to the proposition that driving is its own reward.
Concepts and Goals
The Integra Sports Coupe and Sports Sedan were designed to achieve:
- Spirited engine performance, with excellent acceleration, sporty, free-revving response, and top-level smoothness and flexibility.
- Crisp, precise handling with excellent driver feedback and steering response.
- Distinctive, aerodynamic styling with high efficiency and low wind noise.
- A rigid structure for accurate handling response, long-term durability, excellent corrosion protection and optimum occupant safety.
- An intimate, highly ergonomic driving environment.
The third-generation Acura Integra (introduced in 1994) features a number of technological innovations that enhance performance and handling, and provide high levels of safety, durability, efficiency, comfort and ride quality. The Integra is available as a Sports Coupe or Sports Sedan, and each body style comes in four trim levels- RS, LS, GS-R, and the Special Edition.
The Integra has evolved and matured in its three generations. The latest edition is the most highly refined, and offers a comprehensive list of standard luxury, comfort and safety features. It features a standard driver's and front passenger's air bag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) in all models. Additionally, features such as a power antenna, lumbar adjustment for the driver's seat, power windows and door mirrors and an AM/FM stereo/cassette music system are standard in all models.
For 1996, Integra GS-R and Special Edition models wear a new 6-spoke alloy wheel design. Integra RS and LS models offer redesigned wheel covers. And three new colors - Black Currant Pearl, Cypress Green Pearl and Matador Red Pearl - join the Integra fold. The Integra LS also now features body-colored side mouldings.
Key performance features of the Integra include:
- 170-hp, 1.8-liter, VTEC-equipped, DOHC, 16-valve, 4-cylinder engine (GS-R)
- 140-hp, 1.8 liter, DOHC, 16-valve, 4-cylinder engine (RS, LS, and Special Edition)
- Close-ratio 5-speed manual transmission (GS-R)
- 5-speed manual or an optional electronically controlled, 4-speed automatic transmission with the sophisticated Grade Logic Control System (RS, LS and Special Edition)
- 4-wheel independent double-wishbone suspension
- 4-wheel disc brakes
- Variable power-assisted steering with rotary-valve steering gear
Key safety features of the Integra include:
- Standard driver's and front passenger's Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) and air bags on all models
- Standard Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) (LS, Special Edition and GS-R)
- 3-point outboard passenger seat belts
- Projector beam headlights
- Side-impact doo beams
- Side-intrusion shoulder pads