2005 Acura TSX- Introduction
The TSX sports sedan complements the sporty TL and the luxurious RL. The TSX is positioned as a stepping stone to these established nameplates, providing luxury sedan buyers with an entry point to the Acura brand.
The front-wheel drive TSX was engineered and appointed to compete with Europe's best sedans in the sporty near-luxury segment (the European D segment). This segment includes cars like the Audi A4 and the BMW 3 Series.
In keeping with its European competitors, the TSX driving character is sharply focused on the sporty end of the scale. Its double-wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension has sophisticated geometry that helps the TSX corner flat and resist acceleration lift and braking dive. In addition, the TSX has P215/50R17 Michelin MXM4 V-rated tires, 4-wheel disc brakes, and an impressive arsenal of electronic driver aids including Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with traction control and an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). A highly refined power rack-and-pinion steering system provides outstanding road feel that rivals the best Europe can offer. The takeaway for the driver is an ultra-competent entry luxury sports sedan that's immensely fun to drive.
The precise handling of the TSX perfectly complements its 200-hp 2.4-liter i-VTEC™ 4-cylinder engine. It is available with either a 6-speed manual transmission (with a lightweight magnesium case) or a 5-speed SportShift™ automatic that offers quick and precise gear changes. Thanks to its i-VTEC® intelligent variable valve timing and lift, the engine provides a broad, useable powerband that's uncommon in a 4-cylinder engine, together with a stirring high-rpm power rush. The TSX engine, with its 7100-rpm redline is backed by 40 years of Honda international racing experience in Formula One, CART and Grand Prix motorcycles.
The 60/40-split fold-down rear seat holds three adults with 3-point seatbelts in all positions, and allows easy expansion of the generous 13.0 cu. ft. of trunk space. The seat back can also be locked upright for security. LATCH child-seat attachment points enable the attachment of up to two compatible child seats quickly and securely in the rear outboard positions.
Creature comforts include a dual-zone climate control system and a power moonroof with sliding shade. Steering-wheel mounted switches control the standard 360-watt Premium Sound System, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, cruise control and functions of the optional latest-generation Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™.
For 2005, the TSX receives several upgrades including the addition of XM Satellite Radio, heated door mirrors, a 4-way power adjustable passenger seat, and new color combination - Ebony interior available with the Milano Red exterior color option, illuminated audio and cruise controls on the steering wheel.
- 2.4L 16-valve i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine200
- 6-speed manual transmission
- 5-speed Sequential SportShift transmission
- Drive-by-wire throttle system
- Ultra rigid unit body construction
- 4-wheel double-wishbone suspension
- 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS
While the TSX is a finely honed sports sedan, it's also a magnificently comfortable 5-passenger commuter. Its tremendous unit body stiffness, achieved through the use of high-tensile steel and state-of-the-art computer engineering processes, makes an ideal attachment point for the suspension, and also offers a quiet haven for passengers. Attention to aerodynamics has provided a drag coefficient (Cd) as low as that of any other sedan in the TSX segment. The benefits of this aero-achievement include enhanced high-speed stability and an aggressive appearance.
The interior of the TSX connotes a sporty feeling, backed by the latest safety advances including side airbags and side curtain airbags with a larger protective area than that of the competition. The racing-inspired front seats feature pronounced side bolsters that help keep the driver and front passenger comfortable while cornering. The steering column is manually adjustable for both telescope and tilt. An 8-way power adjustable driver's seat and, new for 2005, a 4-way adjustable passenger seat comes standard on every TSX.
Young. Hip. Technically astute. Raised on Japanese cars. Aspiring to own upscale brands. They are all of this and much more, but these terms perfectly define the buyers that are attracted to the distinctive styling of the TSX, its advanced engineering and its sporting handling. Today's leading automotive designs are sporty and aggressive, and TSX buyers will recognize these cues in this sporty Acura sedan.
Acura TSX owner demographics:
- 57 percent male
- Median age 35 years
- 48 percent married
- 84 percent college educated
- $82,000 median household income
These young and affluent buyers have an emotional attachment to their cars, but require a rational base to support their purchases. The TSX supports both needs with its outstanding handling, strong engine performance, distinctive overall design character, and the world-class quality inherent in all Acura products.
SINGLE TRIM LEVEL WITH MANY STANDARD FEATURES
The Acura TSX comes in one trim level that includes perforated leather upholstery, a power glass moonroof, HID headlights, a premium sound system and much more. It features either a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission or an advanced 5-speed SportShift automatic transmission. The only factory option is the Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition.
- Rigid unit body structure with extensive use of high-tensile steel
- Best in class aerodynamic performance
- High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
- UV light-reflecting green-tinted glass
- Scratch-resistant bright metal Acura doorsill garnishes
- Multiplex wiring circuits
- Power glass moonroof
- Power mirrors with integrated turn signals
- Double-wishbone front suspension
- Double-wishbone multi-link rear suspension
- Front and rear stabilizer bars
- Lightweight rear aluminum suspension knuckles
- Anti-dive and anti-lift suspension geometry
- Quick-ratio power rack-and-pinion steering
- 17 x 7-inch alloy wheels
- P215/50R17 Michelin MXM4 V-rated all-season high performance tires
- 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS
- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with traction control
- Extensive NVH measures
- Advanced 2.4-liter DOHC i-VTEC in-line 4-cylinder
- 200 horsepower @ 6800 rpm
- 166 lbs.-ft. torque @ 4500 rpm
- i-VTEC "intelligent" Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control
- Advanced Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
- Direct ignition system
- Drive-by-wire throttle control
- Dual balance shafts
- 6-speed close-ratio manual transmission
- 5-speed Sequential SportShift® automatic transmission
- 110,000-mile tune-up interval
COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE FEATURES
- Easy-to-read analog instruments with LED backlit illumination
- Leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel
- Steering column with adjustable reach and tilt
- Perforated leather performance-oriented heated front bucket seats
- 8-way power driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support
- 4-way adjustable power passenger seat
- Dual-zone automatic climate control system
- Power windows with driver's auto-down and up feature with auto-reverse
- Power adjustable heated door mirrors
- Keyless entry system with panic button and window controls
- 8-speaker, 360-watt Acura premium sound system
- XM® Satellite Radio
- 60/40 split-folding rear seatback with locking feature
- Available Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition
- Engine immobilizer with rolling code
- Front dual-stage, dual-threshold airbags
- Front seat side airbags with passenger height and position sensors
- Side curtain airbags
- Front and rear crumple zones
- Energy-absorbing sliding front subframe
- Front seat belt pretensioners with load limiters
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) system in rear outboard seating positions
- Reduction of lead in construction
- Elimination of polyvinyl chlorides (PVC) from instrument panel and other parts
- Extensive use of recycled materials
- CARB LEV-2 emissions certified