The 2007 Acura RL combines performance, technology, style and safety in an athletic luxury package that pushes the boundaries of automotive design on multiple fronts. No production car at any price has ever offered more advanced electronic technology or drive-system sophistication. And none has made its driver more connected-with real-time traffic information, personal assistance, phone communication and audio entertainment. True to form for Acura, the many advanced systems of the RL are engineered to function smoothly, efficiently and intuitively.
As part of its commitment to providing Safety Through Innovation, Acura debuts two all-new optional Technology Packages on the RL:
- RL with Technology Package includes Acura Satellite Navigation System and AcuraLink™ with Real Time Traffic, Active Front Lighting (AFL) and an upgraded wood interior
- RL with Technology Package plus CMBS™ and PAX® Tires include Acura's Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™) and Michelin® PAX® Run-flat tires
CMBS uses a millimeter-wave radar unit mounted inside the front grille to detect vehicles ahead and monitor potential rear-end collisions, alert the driver when the likelihood of a collision increases, and help reduce the impact on front occupants by tightening the seatbelts and applying the brakes should a collision prove to be imminent.
The Michelin PAX System run-flat tire technology helps provide enhanced mobility and security with continuous mobility of up to 125 miles at 50 mph following a tire puncture.
RL with Technology Package plus CMBS and PAX Tires also adds the convenience of Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). Adaptive Cruise Control also uses the radar system mounted inside the front grille to measure the distance between the RL and the vehicle directly ahead. To compensate for varying traffic flow, ACC adjusts vehicle speed automatically by applying throttle and braking to maintain a consistent following interval.
The innovation built into the RL begins with the most powerful engine ever offered in a production Acura. The 3.5-liter VTEC™ V-6 engine develops 290* horsepower and 256 lbs-ft of torque. In addition to developing abundant power, the RL engine meets tough LEV2-ULEV emission standards and delivers excellent fuel economy of 18/26 mpg (city/highway).
*For the 2007 model year, all Acura horsepower and torque specifications have been updated to reflect revised Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1349 (Rev 8/04) net calculations that went into affect in January of 2005.
A 5-speed automatic with Sequential SportShift, F1®-style paddle shifters and Grade Logic Control sends power to the standard Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD™) system, traction advantages of all-wheel drive, SH-AWD does something no other current AWD system can: increase the rotation speed of the outside rear wheel during aggressive cornering to help the car turn more effectively under power. This reduces the cornering load on the front tires to reduce understeer and improve handling balance and total cornering grip.
The RL exterior's aggressive style foreshadows the power beneath the hood. Its shape is taut and athletic, and its acceleration and cornering performance allow it to challenge the most capable German and Japanese sports sedans. Comfort, quietness and ride quality are also on a par with any competitor.
The extremely rigid Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure of the RL features extensive use of high-tensile steel and lightweight aluminum components to take construction beyond conventional safety protocols while keeping weight in check and providing a solid platform. Optimized independent front double-wishbone and independent multi-link rear geometry, large brakes and aggressive 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels and tires work together to further enhance the reflexes of the RL.
The elegantly styled interior includes perforated leather-trimmed seats, fine wood accents and top-rate materials. These are complemented by the most advanced electronics available, including the Acura Satellite-Linked Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, the innovative AcuraLink™ satellite communication system with Real Time Traffic, Active Noise Cancellation (ANC), and a spectacular-sounding Acura/Bose® 10-speaker Surround Sound System. Safety is also enhanced with a standard passenger seatbelt reminder, Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), and side curtain airbags. These advances-and a lot more-combined in the RL make it the strongest, most powerful, best handling and most luxurious sedan Acura has ever built.
For 2007, the RL, like all Acura models will be covered by a new six year or 70,000 mile limited powertrain warranty in addition to the four-year or 50,000 mile standard bumper-to-bumper warranty.
- Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD™)
- 5-speed automatic with Sequential SportShift, paddle shifters and Grade Logic Control
- 3.5-liter VTEC® V-6 engine
- 290 horsepower @ 6200 rpm
- 256 lbs-ft. of torque @ 5000 rpm
- VTEC™ (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) valvetrain
- Drive-by-wire throttle system
- Variable flow exhaust system
- 11.0:1 compression ratio
- High inertia dual-stage intake manifold
- Direct ignition system and detonation/knock control
- Computer-controlled Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
- Meets CARB LEV-2 ULEV standard
- 100,000 miles or more tune-up interval
Body and Chassis Features
- Unit body with extensive use of high-tensile steel and aluminum
- Lightweight aluminum front and rear subframes
- Heated outside mirrors with driver recognition, reverse gear tilt-down and integrated directional signals
- Independent double-wishbone front suspension
- Independent multi-link rear suspension
- Electronically controlled, speed-sensing, variable power-assist rack-and-pinion steering
- 17 x 8-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
- P245/50R17 98V high performance, all season tires
- Optional Michelin PAX Run-flat high performance, all-season tires (Included with the RL Technology Package plus CMBS and PAX Tires)
- 4-wheel anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and brake assist
- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®) with traction control
- Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights
- Active Front Lighting System (AFS) (Included with Technology Package)
- LED backlit gauges with progressive illumination
- Flush junction between side glass and B-pillars
- Power moonroof with tilt, auto-open/close, auto-reverse and key-off operation
Comfort & Convenience Features
- Standard rearview camera on models equipped with navigation (New for '07)
- MP3 auxiliary jack (New for '07)
- Acura/Bose® 10-speaker Surround Sound System with 6-disc CD, DVD-Audio, and DTS® changer and AM/FM tuner
- Acura Satellite-Linked Navigation System with Voice Recognition™ and Real Time Traffic (included with Technology Package)
- Optional Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) (Included with CMBS and PAX Tires)
- Active Noise Cancellation system
- Keyless Access System
- HandsFreeLink™ wireless telephone interface compatible with Bluetooth mobile phones
- Multi-information display
- GPS-linked, solar-sensing, dual-zone, dual-mode automatic climate control system
- Driver's 8-way power seat with power adjustable lumbar support
- Front passenger's 4-way power seat with power adjustable lumbar support
- Electronic tilt and telescoping steering column with driver recognition
- Power rear sunshade
- Rear side sunshades
- Remote retractable rear headrests
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure
- Passenger seatbelt reminder (New for '07)
- Side impact door beams
- Optional Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) (available in the RL Technology Package with CMBS and PAX Tires)
- Impact-absorbing crumple zones (front/rear)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with location and pressure indicators
- Driver's and front passenger's dual-stage, dual-threshold airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS)
- Driver's and front passenger's side airbags with front passenger Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS)
- Side curtain airbags for front and rear outboard seats
- 3-point adjustable height seat belts with load limiters and front pretensioners
- 3-point seat belts at all seating positions
- Automatic Locking Retractor/Emergency Locking Retractors (ALR/ELR)
- Front head restraints adjustable for height and tilt
- Remote retractable rear seat head restraints
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) child-seat mounting system
V-6 powered sedans are the highest volume sellers in the RL's segment. Because they represent the core of the market, Acura decided to build the best V-6 powered luxury performance sedan possible. Hence the 290-hp V-6 powered RL was created. Eschewing a
V-8, which accounts for only 15% of the vehicles sold in this market segment, meant not only that the RL would be lighter and more nimble, but also powerful and balanced.
Key 6-cylinder competitors in the RL segment include the BMW 530i, Audi A6, 3.2 Lexus GS 300, and Mercedes-Benz E350. With its SH-AWD™ system as standard equipment, the RL has a distinct advantage over each of them.
Powering the RL is a compact aluminum-alloy 3.5-liter SOHC VTEC® V-6 that is mounted transversely. It produces 290 hp and 256 lbs-ft. of torque while meeting stringent CARB LEV-2 ULEV emissions targets. Fuel economy numbers are 18 mpg City/26 mpg Highway.
The RL comes standard with a 5-speed automatic transmission with Sequential SportShift, paddle shifters and Grade Logic Control. Gears may also be shifted manually via a new multi-gate shifter located on the front center console.
The defining powertrain feature of the RL is Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive™, or SH-AWD™. The system continuously varies the torque split between the front and rear wheels, and left and right rear wheels. To help the RL arc through corners with better chassis balance and more total grip, in a turn SH-AWD™ also overdrives the outside rear wheel at a faster speed, using engine torque to help the car rotate into the turn.
BODY & CHASSIS
The RL body fits its role as a mid-luxury sports sedan perfectly with a muscular appearance and an aggressive, dynamic personality.
The unit body structure is stiff for superior handling precision, and utilizes a variety of steel grades in different areas where maximum strength is required. In addition, the hood, front fenders, trunk lid, frame, front and rear subframes, bumper beams and major suspension components are manufactured from aluminum to reduce weight. Some of these components are formed using an advanced "blow forming" process that allows intricate shapes to be created without increasing the weight of the part.
Careful attention was paid to smoothing airflow over, under and around the body, across the flush side glass and across the windshield wipers. A cowl garnish was installed at the lower part of windshield to reduce air turbulence, while an advanced exterior-mirror design also contributes to improved quietness inside the car.
The independent front double-wishbone and independent multi-link rear suspension use aluminum arms and mount on aluminum subframes. Vehicle Stability Assist® (VSA®) with traction control, large 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS and 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels and tires set new standards for RL dynamic performance.
The RL features the Active Front Lighting System (AFS) (available in the RL with Technology Package). To help the driver see around corners or intersections, the left or right low beam headlight can swivel automatically up to 20 degrees outboard when certain steering angle and speed conditions are met. Xenon HID low-beam headlights, LED mirror-integrated directional signals in the exterior mirror housings and a Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp dramatically brighten visibility. Daytime running lights are standard, as is the Keyless Access System.
The interior of the 2007 Acura RL is more than just luxurious, sporty, and fully equipped with comfort and convenience features. That's because its available AcuraLink™ satellite communication system includes the first ever U.S. application of real time traffic information. That means that in 44 U.S. metro areas, the RL driver can to see traffic tie-ups on major freeways in a graphic onscreen representation in real time. This allows drivers to re-route themselves to clearer traffic corridors without relying on ambiguous radio traffic reports.
Other RL interior features are equally appealing. For 2007, the innovative Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) system is offered as part of the optional RL Technology Package plus CMBS and PAX Tires. When cruise control is activated, this innovative system uses radar to allow the driver to set and maintain a following interval between the RL and the car directly in front of it.
The RL interior features luxurious styling, perforated leather-trimmed seats, and dramatic LED backlit gauges with progressive illumination. Premium technologies define the interior just as it does the powertrain and chassis. These technologies include a GPS-linked, solar-sensing, dual-zone, dual-mode automatic climate control system, an Acura/BOSE® 10-speaker surround sound system with DVD-AUDIO 6-disc changer that provides 500 times the clarity of a typical CD system, MP3 and DTS capability and standard XM® Satellite Radio.
Premium features continue with Active Noise Cancellation (ANC), which neutralizes low-frequency booming sounds in the interior, and HandsFreeLink™, a hands-free phone interface that is compatible with many Bluetooth® phones for a seamless cellular communication experience-in the car or away from it. Other technologies include a Multi-information display, a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with location and pressure indicators, and the Maintenance Minder system.
The RL earned the highest possible ratings (5-star) awarded during frontal (NCAP) and side (SINCAP) crash tests for outboard positions and rollover resistance tests conducted by the U.S. Department of Transportation's Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The RL is one of only a handful of vehicles in the history of the program to receive such high ratings in all three categories.
With the RL, Acura embraces active as well as passive safety as essential goals. Active safety features that can help a driver avoid an accident include SH-AWD™, Vehicle Stability Assist® (VSA®) with traction control, and 4-wheel disc brakes. ABS and Brake Assist also help contribute to greater driver control. HID Xenon plasma-arc low-beam headlights and the available Active Front Lighting System (AFS) contribute to superior nighttime visibility.
For 2007, a new optional RL Technology Package plus CMBS and PAX Tires adds the Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) and Michelin PAX Run-flat tires. Components of this package and are not available separately.
The RL also features the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure. It is designed to help dissipate collision forces in frontal crashes, while enhancing crash protection for occupants and passengers in other vehicles.
The RL features a driver's and front passenger's dual-stage, dual-threshold airbag Supplementary Restraint System (SRS). Side curtain airbags that provide head protection for all outboard seating positions are also standard equipment. The RL also has seat sensors that monitor the weight on the front passenger's seat. These automatically turn off the passenger's front side airbag if they detect an occupant weight less than 65 lbs.