2008 Acura TSX - Introduction
The TSX sports sedan complements the sporty TL and the luxurious RL in Acura's lineup of performance luxury sedans. The TSX is positioned as a stepping stone to other Acura products and provides luxury sedan buyers with an entry point to the Acura brand.
The front-wheel drive TSX is engineered and appointed to compete with Europe's best sedans in the sporty near-luxury segment (the European D segment). This segment includes cars such as the Audi A4 and BMW 3 Series as well as the Volvo S40.
In keeping with its European competitors, the TSX driving character is sharply focused on the sporty end of the scale. Its double-wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension has sophisticated geometry that helps the TSX corner flat and resists acceleration lift and braking dive. In addition, the TSX has performance-minded Michelin MXM4 V-rated P215/50R17 tires, including a Tire Pressure Monitoring System™, 4-wheel disc brakes, and an impressive arsenal of electronic driver aids including Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with traction control and an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). A highly refined power rack-and-pinion steering system provides outstanding road feel that rivals the best Europe can offer. The takeaway for the driver is an ultra-competent entry luxury sports sedan that's immensely fun to drive.
The TSX is powered by a 2.4-liter i-VTEC® 4-cylinder engine that produces 205 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and 164 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm. The TSX is available with either a 6-speed manual transmission (constructed of a lightweight magnesium case) or a SportShift™ 5-speed automatic transmission that offers quick and precise gear changes. Thanks to i-VTEC® intelligent variable valve timing and lift, the engine provides a broad, useable powerband that's uncommon in a 4-cylinder engine, together with a stirring high-rpm power rush. The TSX engine is backed by 40 years of Honda international racing experience in Formula One, CART, Indy Car and Grand Prix motorcycles.
The body of the TSX enhances its aggressive demeanor while retaining the superior aerodynamics that has been such a large part of its high performance nature. In front, styling cues include the bumper, a signature 5-sided Acura grille, more angular side markers and bumper-integrated fog lamps that give the TSX its sporty appearance. More substantial side sills accent the nine-spoke alloy wheels. In the rear, the backlight slopes to meet a short, high trunk lid, which terminates sharply to help air separate cleanly off the back of the car at top speeds. The rear bumper and taillights give the TSX an aggressive look.
Creature comforts include a dual-zone climate control system and a power moonroof with sliding shade. Steering-wheel mounted switches control the standard 360-watt Premium Sound System, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, cruise control and functions of the optional latest-generation Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™. The TSX is also equipped with the Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® wireless phone interface, an auxiliary jack for digital music players and Acura's Maintenance Minder™ system. Additionally, the TSX is equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).
While the TSX is a finely honed sports sedan, it's also a magnificently comfortable 5-passenger commuter. Its tremendous unit body stiffness, achieved through the use of high-tensile steel and state-of-the-art computer engineering processes, makes an ideal attachment point for the suspension, and also offers a quiet haven for passengers. Attention to aerodynamics has provided a drag coefficient (Cd) as low as that of any other sedan in the TSX segment. The benefits of this aerodynamic achievement include enhanced high-speed stability and an aggressive appearance.
The interior of the TSX connotes a sporty feeling, backed by the latest safety advances including side airbags and side curtain airbags with a larger protective area than that of the competition. The racing-inspired front seats feature pronounced side bolsters that help keep the driver and front passenger comfortable while cornering. The steering column is manually adjustable for both telescope and tilt functions. An 8-way power adjustable driver's seat (with 2-position memory) and a 4-way adjustable passenger seat come standard on every TSX.
Young. Hip. Technically astute. Raised on Japanese cars. Aspiring to own upscale brands. Target buyers are all of this and much more, but these terms perfectly define the buyers that are attracted to the distinctive styling of the TSX, its advanced engineering and its sporting handling. Today's leading automotive designs are sporty and aggressive, and TSX buyers will recognize these cues in this sporty Acura sedan.
These young and affluent buyers have an emotional attachment to their cars, but require a rational base to support their purchases. The TSX supports both needs with its outstanding handling, strong engine performance, distinctive overall design, and the world-class quality inherent in all Acura products.
SINGLE TRIM LEVEL WITH MANY STANDARD FEATURES
The Acura TSX comes in one trim level that includes perforated leather upholstery, a power glass moonroof, HID headlights, a premium sound system and much more. It features either a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission or an advanced SportShift 5-speed automatic transmission. The only factory option is the Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition.
- Rigid unit body structure with extensive use of high-tensile steel
- Superior aerodynamic performance
- Xenon High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
- UV light-reflecting green-tinted glass
- Scratch-resistant bright metal Acura doorsill garnishes
- Multiplex wiring circuits
- Power glass moonroof
- Power mirrors with integrated turn signals
- Bumper-integrated fog lights
- Double-wishbone front suspension
- Multi-link rear suspension
- Front and rear stabilizer bars
- Lightweight rear aluminum suspension knuckles
- Anti-dive and anti-lift suspension geometry
- Quick-ratio power rack-and-pinion steering
- 17x7-inch alloy wheels
- P215/50R17 Michelin MXM4 V-rated all-season high performance tires
- 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS
- Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with traction control
- Electronic Brake Assist
- Advanced 2.4-liter DOHC i-VTEC® in-line 4-cylinder engine
- 205 horsepower @ 7,000 rpm
- 164 lb-ft. torque @ 4,500 rpm
- i-VTEC® "intelligent" Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control
- Advanced Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
- Direct ignition system
- Drive-by-wire throttle control
- Dual balance shafts
- 6-speed close-ratio manual transmission or Sequential SportShift 5-speed automatic transmission
- 100,000-mile tune-up interval (may vary with driving conditions)
- Maintenance Minder™ system
COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE FEATURES
- Easy-to-read analog instruments with LED backlit illumination
- Leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel
- Steering column with adjustable reach and tilt
- Perforated leather performance-oriented heated front bucket seats
- 8-way power driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support
- 2-position memory for driver seat
- 4-way adjustable power passenger seat
- 60/40 split-folding rear seatback with locking feature
- Power windows with driver's auto-down and up feature with auto-reverse
- Power adjustable heated door mirrors
- Dual-zone automatic climate control system
- 8-speaker, 360-watt Acura premium sound system
- XM® Satellite Radio
- Digital media auxiliary jack in center console
- Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® wireless phone connectivity
- Available Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition
- Multi-Information Display (MID)
- Keyless entry system with panic button and window controls
- Engine immobilizer with rolling code
- Front dual-stage, dual-threshold airbags
- Front seat side airbags with passenger height, seatbelt and position sensors
- Side curtain airbags
- Front and rear crumple zones
- Energy-absorbing sliding front subframe
- Front seat belt pretensioners with load limiters
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) car seat mounting system in rear outboard seating positions
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Reduction of lead in construction
- Elimination of polyvinyl chlorides (PVC) from instrument panel and other parts
- Extensive use of recycled materials
- CARB LEV-2 emissions certified