2010 Acura TSX - Introduction
The Acura TSX sports sedan was an all-new, clean sheet design for 2009. Improvements came in nearly every category including a bold new exterior design, added interior refinements as well as enhanced driving dynamics. The second generation TSX has been well received by both customers and the automotive press, garnering awards and breaking sales records. For 2010, the TSX receives major enhancements - including an available V-6 engine.
While the TSX with 2.4L I-4 engine produces spirited driving, TSX engineers want to push the performance envelope with an available V-6 package that delivers substantially more power and sportier handling coupled with larger wheels and tires. The new V-6 package further accentuates the TSX's sporty driving character that has become an Acura trademark.
With two distinct powertrain choices for 2010, the TSX offers added appeal to buyers considering a new vehicle within the Entry Premium segment.
WHAT'S NEW FOR 2010
All-New TSX V-6 model
- 3.5-liter, VTEC® V-6 engine with 280 horsepower and 254 lb-ft of torque
- Performance exhaust system with dual outlet tips
- One-Touch starter system
- Upgraded charging system with a heavy-duty battery
- Upgraded automatic transmission with V-6 specific gear ratios and more heavy-duty internals
- Split five-spoke, 18x8-inch diameter aluminum wheels
- Michelin Pilot P235/45R18 all-season tires
- Exclusive suspension tuning with special rate front springs and recalibrated dampers
- Expanded use of Electronic Control Mount (ECM) system to control NVH
- Upgraded braking system
- Revised front fascia openings for improved engine cooling
- Active Sound Control (ASC) noise cancellation system
- Strut system for easy hood opening
- V-6 emblem on rear trunk lid
THE ENTRY PREMIUM MARKET
With a price point typically in the high $20,000 to low $30,000 range, the "entry premium" sedan segment represents the gateway to over a dozen automakers. Customers will find the Acura TSX positioned alongside the Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Infiniti G, Lexus IS and Mercedes-Benz C-class. With the entry to a luxury brand comes high expectations and the TSX - together with the award-winning Acura dealership experience - is ready to meet all of them. For 2010, the new TSX V-6 further raises the performance bar for those looking for even better acceleration and handling. While the TSX with 2.4L I-4 competes with vehicles such as the A4 2.0T, 328i, IS 250 and C300, the TSX V-6 targets even more performance minded entry luxury sedans. The TSX V-6 is a strong consideration for customers who will shop the Audi A4 3.2, BMW 335i, and Lexus IS 350.
The 2010 TSX is designed to appeal to young professionals who are previous TSX owners, conquests from other luxury brands such as Audi, BMW and Lexus, as well as to customers whose income and tastes are moving upscale. Demographically, TSX buyers are expected to range in age from 28 to 34 years old and hold a college degree. These customers are split nearly evenly between male and female, and slightly less than half are married. They are image seekers and will appreciate the styling, technical allure and total performance that the TSX offers - while also valuing the outstanding customer treatment that owners have come to enjoy at Acura dealerships.
The buyer for the new TSX V-6 is expected to be older (approximately 38 years old) than the TSX buyer, 80-percent male, 60-percent married, with a household income of about $110,000. Remaining the same is that the TSX V-6 buyer will be extremely brand conscious and eclectic in their tastes and interests. With the introduction of a V-6 powered TSX, Acura will fill a niche in its lineup between the four-cylinder TSX and the all-new TL performance luxury sedan. With the TL moving more upscale following its redesign in the 2009 model year, the TSX V-6 will be aimed squarely at youthful buyers who want a performance-oriented sports sedan in a more personal size.
- Front engine, front-wheel-drive
- 3.5-liter, SOHC, VTEC® V-6 aluminum alloy engine
- 280 hp at 6,200 rpm and 254 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 rpm
- 11.2:1 compression ratio
- Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC®)
- Dual-Stage induction system with lightweight magnesium alloy intake manifold
- Cold-air intake system
- Integrated exhaust manifolds cast directly into the cylinder heads
- High-flow exhaust system with dual tips
- Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system
- Computer-Controlled Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
- Direct Ignition System
- Detonation/knock control system
- Maintenance Minder system
- 100,000 mile tune-up intervals*
- High-flow close-coupled catalytic converters plus under floor catalytic converter
- High-capacity 32-bit RISC processor emissions control unit
- Meets EPA TIER 2 - BIN 5 and CARB LEV II ULEV emissions standards
- EPA estimated mileage: 18/27/21 mpg** (city/highway/combined, 5AT)
- 2.4-liter, DOHC, i-VTEC® inline four-cylinder engine
- 201 horsepower at 7,000 rpm
- 172 lb-ft of torque at 4,300 rpm (6 MT); 170 lb-ft of torque at 4,300 rpm (5 AT)
- i-VTEC® "intelligent" valve-control system combines Variable Timing Control™ (VTC™) with VTEC®
- Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system
- Computer-controlled Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
- Dual balance shafts
- Direct ignition system
- Lightweight alloy pistons and high-strength connecting rods
- 100,000 mile tune-up interval*
- Maintenance Minder system
- EPA TIER 2 - BIN 5 and CARB LEV II ULEV emissions compliance
- Cylinder-head integrated rear-facing exhaust ports, close-coupled catalytic converter and under-floor converter
- EPA estimated mileage: 20/28/23 mpg** (city/highway/combined, 6 MT)
- EPA estimated mileage: 21/30/24 mpg** (city/highway/combined, 5 AT)
*Does not apply to fluid and filter changes. Exact mileage is determined by actual driving conditions.
** Based on 2010 EPA mileage estimates, reflecting new EPA fuel economy methods beginning with 2008 models. Use for comparison purposes only. Do not compare to models before 2008. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.
Sequential SportShift 5-Speed Automatic Transmission
- Sequential SportShift via steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters
- 5-position straight shift gate
- Advanced Grade Logic Control
- Drive-by-Wire™ cooperative control
- Lockup torque converter
6-Speed manual transmission (TSX)
- Close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission
- Compact, highly rigid, lightweight magnesium transmission case and bell housing
- Multi-cone gear synchronizers
- Short shift throws
- Short-stroke clutch pedal
- Compact, low-inertia clutch
BODY & CHASSIS FEATURES
Design & Styling
- Bold Keen-Edge design featuring signature Acura grille, crisp body lines and distinctive character
- Projector-style HID low beam and halogen high beam headlights with integrated fog lamps
- Thinner A-pillars for increased forward visibility
- Advanced underbody aerodynamics
- Wider trunk opening
- Lower trunk lift-over height
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure
- Frame rails repositioned to inside of floor pan for improved aerodynamics
- Closed-channel cross-braced roof structure
- A, B & C-pillar separators
- Rear bulkhead safety-cage structure
Wheels & Tires
- Five-spoke, 17x7.5-inch diameter aluminum alloy wheels with Michelin Pilot P225/50R17 93V all-season tires (TSX)
- Split five-spoke, 18x8.0-inch diameter aluminum alloy wheels with Michelin Pilot P235/45R18 94V all-season tires (TSX V-6)
Steering, Suspension & Brakes
- Electric Power Steering (EPS)
- Dual-mode dampers
- Double wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension
- 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS
- Driver-oriented cockpit
- Automatic headlight activation
- Large, easy-to-read LED backlit analog instruments
- Multi-Information Display (MID)
- Dash-mounted electronic compass
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel with fingertip controls
- Tilt and telescopic steering column
- 8-way power driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support and new 2-position memory
- 4-way power adjustable passenger seat
- Front seat heaters
- Sport seats with perforated leather-trimmed interior
- Interior seating for five
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with air-filtration system
- Auto-dimming day/night rearview mirror
- Keyless entry system with window controls and folding key
- Premium 7-speaker audio system with CD, AM/FM/XM®
- Bluetooth Audio®
- Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® cellular telephone interface
- USB port connectivity (for iPod, iPhone, or removable "memory stick" mass storage device)
- Auxiliary jack interface (for MP3 music players)
- HomeLink® remote control system
Technology Package features
- Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, Zagat® restaurant information, and rearview camera
- AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System
- AcuraLink® Real-time traffic with Traffic Rerouting™ (in available areas)
- AcuraLink® weather (in available areas)
- Acura/ELS® Surround 415-watt Premium Audio System with 10-speakers, multi-format 6-disc DVD-Audio changer, AM/FM tuner, XM® Radio with Note function music reminder, and Dolby® Pro Logic® II
- GPS-linked, solar-sensing, dual-zone automatic climate control system
Comfort & Convenience
- Power moonroof with new one-touch operation
- Reverse-gear linked passenger-side door mirror
- Auto up/down front passenger window
- Door-mounted electric trunk release button
- Auto-locking fuel door
- Strategic noise insulation
The 2010 Acura TSX features the following safety technologies as standard equipment:
Active safety systems
- 4-wheel disc Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
- Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with traction control (Electronic Stability Control)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Passive safety systems
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure
- 3-point seatbelts for all seating positions
- Front seatbelt automatic tensioning system with integrated load limiters
- Dual-stage, dual-threshold front airbags
- Dual-chamber front-seat side airbags
- Side curtain airbags for all outboard seating positions
- Active front head restraints
- Rear head restraints for all seating positions
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) system in the rear seat
- Front 5-mph bumper and rear 2.5-mph bumper
ENGINE & POWERTRAIN
With the introduction of a V-6 powered TSX, Acura will fill a niche in its lineup between the four-cylinder TSX and the all-new TL performance luxury sedan.
Now available for the 2010 TSX is a new 3.5L SOHC V-6 that develops 280 horsepower and 254 lb-ft of torque. The V-6 features VTEC® valvetrain control, a high 11.2:1 compression ratio and a dual-stage induction system contained within a lightweight magnesium intake manifold. The V-6 has been tuned to deliver a linear torque curve with emphasis on the rpm range most commonly used for day-to-day driving. The new 3.5L V-6 meets California's stringent CARB LEV II ULEV emissions certification and achieved an EPA estimated 18 mpg in city driving and 27 mpg on the highway**.
Sporty performance, fuel efficiency and low emissions are the hallmarks of the 2010 TSX's all-aluminum DOHC i-VTEC® inline four-cylinder engine. Displacing 2.4 liters and producing 201 hp and 172 lb-ft of torque (6MT), the engine produces its useable power across a wide rpm range, while the broad torque curve further strengthens the engine's pulling power at middle rpm levels. This allows the 2010 TSX to be responsive off the line, out of corners and when overtaking other vehicles.
The performance and flexibility of the 2.4L I-4 is credited to a high compression ratio, efficient valve timing, and a high flow intake and exhaust system. Further credit also goes to the TSX's i-VTEC® "intelligent" valve control system. Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC®) combines with Variable Timing Control™ (VTC™), to deliver top-of-class power. Likewise, a rear-mounted exhaust manifold layout, a close-coupled catalytic converter design and a Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) system substantially reduce emissions levels, enabling the 2010 TSX to meet the EPA TIER 2 - BIN 5 and CARB LEV II Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV) standards.
TSX customers who choose the spirited four-cylinder engine have a choice of two transmission styles as standard equipment - a 6-speed close-ratio manual or a Sequential SportShift 5-speed automatic. The manual transmission features a short-throw shifter with a precise, light action that makes it highly rewarding to use, and its aluminum case reduces vehicle mass to improve all-around performance and efficiency.
The new TSX V-6 features a sophisticated Sequential SportShift 5-speed automatic transmission that can be operated manually via steering wheel mounted racing inspired paddle shifters. The smooth shifting automatic is also fitted with intelligent features such as Grade Logic Control and Shift Hold Control, which make driving the TSX on hilly or winding roads more enjoyable.
BODY & CHASSIS
The 2010 TSX features a wide and muscular body which translates into outstanding handling and performance. The wide body (72.4 inches), long wheelbase (106.4 inches) and overall length (185.6 inches) give the TSX excellent ride quality and ample interior space for passengers. The high roll center helps reduce body roll during cornering for a more sporty driving experience.
The TSX uses Showa dual-mode suspension dampers, which provide superior suspension damping characteristics at both lower and higher damper speeds. The TSX employs Electric Power Steering (EPS) that delivers precise input during performance driving.
Advanced techniques in body design and construction, such as the use of cross-braced roof structure and a strong rear bulkhead, yield a very rigid and vibration-resistant structure. Aerodynamic tailoring included the use of inside frame rails, comprehensive aerodynamic tailoring underneath the car, and the use of A, B and C-pillar separators - all of which give the TSX a quiet cabin even over rough roads and at high speed. The TSX's slippery aerodynamics also helps fuel economy as well as high-speed stability, all while lowering emissions.
Functionality and refinement, luxury and style converge in the interior of the 2010 Acura TSX. Featuring a blend of sweeping shapes, a high level of standard comfort and convenience features, widespread use of premium materials and an available Technology Package, the TSX sports sedan offers an upscale, modern interior that customers have come to expect from Acura.
First impressions are powerful, and an initial look inside the TSX reveals much about its character. From the precision crafted metal door sills to the satin-metal finish accents, from new leather-covered seats to the steering-wheel mounted controls, and from the premium 7-speaker audio system to the dual-zone automatic climate control, the TSX represents a merge of intelligent design and innovation. Bluetooth® connectivity is standard and includes HandsFreeLink® cellular telephone interface that makes communications easier while en route. The TSX's Keen-Edge design blends perfectly with its range of electronic features in a way that makes the driving experience more satisfying.
Adding to the already impressive list of TSX standard equipment is the available Technology Package, which bristles with leading-edge electronics that make driving that much more efficient and enjoyable. The Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ and AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™, and the highly useful AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System are the centerpieces of the Technology Package. The navigation system features continuously updated traffic maps covering 77 major metropolitan markets, and offers Traffic Rerouting™ to help navigate around slow-downs. Also available is a 10-speaker premium audio system tuned by legendary recording engineer and producer Elliot Scheiner. The 10-speaker Acura/ELS Surround® Premium Audio System includes a Note function for XM® Radio that makes it easy to identify songs to recall at a later date. With push of a button, the Note feature can capture 10 seconds each of up to 30 songs, along with text indicating song title, artist name, and XM® Radio channel.
Providing an array of advanced safety features is among the highest priorities of the 2010 Acura TSX. Leading the way is the TSX's new Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure. ACE™ improves the dispersal of frontal crash energy via load-bearing frame structures that better match the TSX with other vehicles of different sizes and with different bumper heights. Simply put, ACE™ maximizes the effectiveness of the TSX's front crumple zones, better dispersing crash forces before they reach the passenger compartment.
Contributing to the safety performance of the 2010 TSX is a broad range of passive safety features, including six airbags (dual-stage, dual-threshold front airbags, new dual-chamber front seat side airbags, and side curtain airbags for outboard seating positions). Three-point seatbelts and head restraints are provided in all seating positions, and the TSX driver and front passenger are further protected by front seatbelt load limiters with an integrated automatic tensioning system, plus active front head restraints. The rear seat features a Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) system that allows for the secure and quick affixing of up to two child seats.
Exterior features designed to further improve safety include daytime running lights (DRL), pedestrian injury mitigation technologies such as a deformable hood panel, hood hinges, and windshield-wiper pivots.
The 2010 Acura TSX achieves the highest ratings in both government (NHTSA*) and independent (IIHS) crash testing - including IIHS's TOP SAFETY PICK.
Crash-test ratings include:
|IIHS||Electronic Stability Control (ESC)||TOP SAFETY PICK|
*Government star ratings are part of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA's) New Car Assessment Program (www.safercar.gov). Model tested with standard side-impact air bags (SABs).