Powersports / Side-by-Side / Big Red
2013 Honda Big Red Features and Benefits
The Big Red® Multipurpose Utility Vehicle (MUV) has a reputation for being a hard-working machine that's way ahead of all other options. And that's a standing it's earned the old-fashioned way—out in the field, working day in and day out. Multiple patents and numerous automotive-based technology features add to Big Red's superior handling, secure feel and comfortable ride. Yet it works harder than ever, thanks to its 675cc liquid-cooled fuel-injected engine, excellent load-carrying and towing capacities, sophisticated suspension, comfortable bench seat and a Roll Over Protection Structure (ROPS) that meets OSHA requirements.
- Big Red's wide stance and low center of gravity provide good driving feel in a wide range of conditions.
- Roomy cab and rubber-mounted contoured bench seat with adjustable back comfortably fit a wide range of body types and reduce fatigue on long drives.
- Durable, comfortable, ergonomically placed controls.
- Automotive-type right-hand-operated parking brake for secure peace of mind in off-road situations with or without a full load.
- In-cab glove box and dash storage for quick access to small items.
- Waterproof accessory socket is ideally placed in the middle of the vehicle below the seat back for easy access to
- Three-point Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) seat belts are similar to automotive type.
- Uniquely designed, four-pillar, six-piece 41.3mm (1.6-inch diameter) Roll Over Protection Structure (ROPS).
- Fuel system check-valve and seat-belt-release mechanisms are designed to protect occupants in the event of a tip-over.
- Multi-reflector headlight system and LED brake light and taillight provide excellent illumination for nighttime activities.
- Stainless-steel exhaust system includes a USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler designed for quiet operation without wool packing for long-lasting performance.
- Washable foam air filter for easy maintenance and consistent performance.
- Transferable one-year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Powerful OHV liquid-cooled Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) 675cc mid- engine design.
- Four-valve cylinder head with two short pushrods provides a broad powerband for optimum performance and engine efficiency.
- Camshaft is located adjacent to the cylinder head, reducing engine height for a low center of gravity and excellent handling.
- High-capacity liquid cooling provides consistent engine operating temperature in extreme conditions for maximum power output and long engine-life.
- Lightweight aluminum radiator is mounted high to avoid being clogged by mud and damaged by trail debris.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) features 40mm throttle body, 12-hole two-pattern injector and Idle Air Control Valve (IACV).
- The automotive-style Honda automatic transmission features a hydraulic torque converter, three hydraulic clutches and an Electronic Control Module (ECM) to automatically select one of three forward gears and one Reverse gear. The ECM monitors throttle opening, vehicle speed, engine rpm, gear selector position, brake application and engine oil temperature.
- Selectable drive modes are 2WD with open rear differential for sensitive terrain/lawns, 4WD with rear differential lock and 4WD with all-wheel differential lock.
- The Honda automatic transmission shifts electronically and features positive engine braking, which is superior to electronic braking systems that can result in inconsistent performance.
- Features a filtration system to protect against external contamination. The compact and maintenance-free design means there are no belts to wear out and replace. Using multi-filtered engine oil as hydraulic fluid, the design also simplifies maintenance and ensures an adequate oil supply in all operating conditions.
- Independent double-wishbone suspension contributes to an exceptional 10.3 inches of ground clearance.
- Independent double-wishbone suspension with high-quality variable-damping shock absorbers provides 5.9 inches of front travel and 7.1 inches in the rear.
- Rear shocks feature preload adjustability.
- 25 x 10-12 Maxxis Big Horn tires front and rear provide added ground clearance while eliminating the need for different sized spares spares during extreme use.
- Four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes with a balanced automotive-style design that ensures front and rear braking even if one brake line fails for some unexpected reason.
- Heavy-duty 2-inch receiver-style hitch with 1500-pound towing capacity.
- 1000-pound-capacity steel tilt bed is protected by an automotive-bumper-grade plastic liner. The tilt bed also features a progressive-action strut assist.
- Roll Over Protection Structure (ROPS) meets the requirements of OSHA 1928.53.
Honda Genuine Accessories†
- Winch Kit (winch load capacity 4000 pounds), Auxiliary Battery Box, Auxiliary Lights, Receiver Hitch Plug, Drawbar, Hitch Ball, Wind Deflector, Two-Piece Folding Windscreen, Windscreen, Hard Roof, Fabric Roof, Rear Cab Curtain, Grille Guard, Front Bumper Shield, Rear Bumper, Rock Slider, A-Arm Guards (front/rear), Side Skid Plates, Outdoor Storage Cover, Rear Screen Guard, Storage/Toolbox, Cargo Bag, Bed Mat, Universal Cargo Mount System, Under-Hood Storage Box, Digital Meter Kit, Dash Pocket Nets, Glove Box Door, Floor Mat, Horn Kit, Back-up Alarm, Exterior Side Mirrors
† WARRANTY: Because we're so confident in the quality of each of our Honda Genuine accessories, we're pleased to offer one of the best warranties in the industry. One-year warranty begins on the day accessories are purchased by the customer.