Powersports / ATV / Utility / FourTrax Foreman Rubicon/GPScape
2008 Honda FourTrax Foreman Rubicon/FourTrax Foreman Rubicon GPScape Features & Benefits
The FourTrax Foreman Rubicon comes by its popularity honestly, courtesy of its continuously variable Hondamatic transmission, TraxLok 2WD/4WD system, torque-sensitive front differential and sophisticated GPScape navigation capabilities.
New for 2008
- New White color joins Red, Olive and NaturalGear™ Camouflage on the TRX500FA.
- Integrated GPScape® (see Technology Section)
- Honda's first liquid-cooled four-stroke ATV engine is a single-cylinder 499cc overhead-valve design that provides tremendous torque and dependable power.
- Hondamatic transmission is a continuously variable, hydromechanical design that eliminates belts altogether. It is compact, quiet, maintenance-free and very rugged. The Hondamatic features true engine braking, unlike conventional belt-drive designs.
- Torque-Sensitive Front Differential (see Technology Section)
- TraxLok® selectable 2WD/4WD system (see Technology Section)
- 20-watt integrated carburetor heater for reliable cold-weather starting.
- Liquid-cooled overhead-valve single-cylinder 499cc four-stroke engine is mounted longitudinally in the frame, allowing direct driveshaft alignment to front and rear wheels for improved drivetrain efficiency.
- Camshaft is located adjacent to the cylinder head, reducing engine height. Together with the external engine-oil tank, engine height is further reduced for a low center of gravity and excellent handling.
- Four-valve cylinder head utilizes two short pushrods to provide a broad powerband for optimum performance and engine efficiency.
- Standard high-flow oil cooler ensures optimal engine lubrication under difficult operating conditions.
- Rubber-cushion engine mounting and gear-driven counterbalancer reduce vibration.
- Integral electric carburetor heater system improves driveability and ensures smooth operation in cold conditions.
- Stainless steel exhaust system provides superior corrosion resistance.
Hondamatic Automatic Transmission
- The Hondamatic transmission utilizes variable hydraulic pressure and mechanical torque amplification to provide seamless job-handling power and excellent acceleration. Engine power drives a hydraulic pump. The pump, in turn, drives a hydraulic motor with variable fluid capacity. Utilizing pump and motor pistons and a variable-pitch motor-side swash plate, hydraulic capacity and pressure are varied, producing continuously variable output speed. In addition, torque is increased as output-shaft speed is reduced.
- Dash-mounted knob switches to one of three electronic shifting programs: D1 for maximum performance, D2 for maximum torque and ESP™, Honda's exclusive Electric Shift Program (see Technology Section). D1 and D2 modes provide continuously variable transmission output; ESP allows the rider to "shift" the Hondamatic with the touch of a thumb using two push-buttons mounted on the left handlebar.
- The Hondamatic is extremely efficient, with operating efficiencies ranging from 75-81 percent in full-reduction mode and from 87-92 percent when input and output speeds are the same (1:1 ratio).
- The Hondamatic is fully sealed, compact and maintenance-free, with no belts to wear out and replace.
- The Hondamatic features true engine braking, unlike conventional belt-drive designs.
- Dual front disc brake calipers feature a patented built-in scraper system to remove mud and snow from inside the front wheel to help prevent buildup of debris between caliper and rim and ensure consistent braking performance.
- Brake pads feature thick, long-wearing material with improved mud durability, feel and control. An internal scraper gives audible warning when pad life is low.
- Rugged frame and suspension provide 7.5 inches of ground clearance.
- Independent double-wishbone front suspension uses premium shock absorbers to provide 6.7 inches of suspension travel for a plush, comfortable ride.
- Steel swingarm and dual rear shock absorbers provide 6.7 inches of suspension travel for superb comfort and compliance.
- Powerful single piston caliper front hydraulic 180mm disc brakes and sealed rear mechanical drum.
- Water-resistant storage is integrated into bodywork.
- Engine design produces low emissions and meets California Air Resources Board (CARB) off-road emissions standards.
- Multi-function LCD digital instrumentation is compact, tough and waterproof, featuring large readouts for Hondamatic transmission modes, gear selector position, speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer, resettable tripmeter and hourmeter/clock. Instrument housing includes LEDs for Reverse, Neutral and temperature warning indicator.
- Waterproof accessory socket provides 12-volt, 10-amp power with a built-in temperature-type fuse.
- Digital fuel gauge.
- Thickly padded seat provides all-day comfort.
- Uniquely designed floorboards allow the rider's feet to grip the footrests while keeping mud and debris away from the rider's feet.
- Standard over-fenders give excellent mud protection.
- Powerful 361-watt AC generator.
- Triple headlight system with single 45-watt upper light and dual 30-watt lower lights with multi-reflector lenses for optimal light distribution plus a 21-watt stop- and taillight.
- Large front and rear cargo racks are rated at 66 and 133 pounds, respectively.
- Unique rear-opening storage compartment allows access when rack is loaded.
- Constant-velocity-joint boot guards help prevent damage to boot covers.
- Triple skidplates.
- Assembled in Timmonsville, South Carolina.
- Transferable one year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Flag Kit.