Powersports / Motorcycles / Enduro / CRF450X / Features
2009 Honda CRF450X - Features & Benefits
In just a short time the CRF450X has grown immensely popular, and for good reason: Having won the grueling and world-renowned Baja 500 and Baja 1000 races multiple times, it has rightfully earned the title King of Baja.
- Electric-start system for easy starting in all conditions.
- Fuel-tank capacity is 1.9 gallons.
- Resettable, easy-to-read three-digit odometer.
- USDA-qualified muffler/spark arrester.
- Powerful 35-watt halogen headlight offers a wide range of illumination.
- LED taillight integrated into rear fender.
- Convenient sidestand integrated into left footpeg bracket can be easily removed for competition events.
- Wide-ratio five-speed transmission.
- Suspension and chassis tuned for competitive off-road riding needs.
- 18-inch rear wheel for greater flat-tire protection.
- T-ring-sealed chain is approximately 1.6mm narrower, and stronger compared with conventional chains.
- Skidplate and engine guards feature a unique three-piece design.
- Powerful four-stroke 449cc liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam® engine is designed to produce power across a wide rpm band for off-road riding (see Technology Section).
- Electric starter drives the clutch side of the crankshaft to provide superior lubrication of starter gears and produce a narrow engine with a short, strong crankshaft.
- Compact, lightweight engine assembly weighs only 71 pounds.
- Lightweight titanium intake valves permit use of smaller valve springs, reducing overall engine height.
- Clutch cover and cylinder-head cover are made of magnesium to reduce engine weight.
- Forged 12.0:1-compression slipper piston is lighter than a conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
- Nikasil cylinder lining is lightweight and provides cooler and quieter operation for extended engine life.
- 40mm Keihin FCR-type carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.
- Carburetor features a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) to help maintain linear throttle response throughout the rpm range.
- Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil, reduces the amount of circulating oil and permits the use of a smaller oil pump.
- Exhaust system uses a lightweight, stainless-steel exhaust header and muffler equipped with spark arrester.
- Dual radiators feature a refined core area for improved heat dissipation compared with conventional dual-radiator designs. Coolant recovery tank is located in front of the engine between the frame downtubes for improved center of gravity. Coolant tank is protected by a plastic skidplate.
- Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump. Eight clutch plates provide the surface area necessary to handle the engine's massive torque, while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.
- Durable and versatile five-speed wide-ratio transmission.
- Fourth-generation Twin-Spar Aluminum Frame with forged-aluminum steering head (see Technology Section).
- HPSD features a compact damper attached to the upper triple clamp and the steering head to augment more aggressive steering characteristics and assist straight-line handling. Tuned specifically for higher speed, non-motocross, off-road riding applications, the CRF450X damper incorporates different valving/settings compared to the units on the motocross models. HPSD provides straight-line confidence at high speeds, a planted feel in corners, less rider fatigue and outstanding control over a wider variety of terrain and riding conditions.
- 18-inch rear wheel features same lightweight rear hub and HRC works-type lightweight-aluminum spoke nipples as used on CRF450R.
- Front wheel features large-diameter front axle and wide wheel-bearing span for excellent rigidity.
- 25mm rear-axle diameter and large-diameter bearings provide optimum rigidity to withstand torturous off-road conditions.
- Revised, sophisticated Inverted Twin-Chamber Cartridge Fork (see Technology Section).
- Pro-Link® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section) with new damper settings.
- Large 50mm-diameter rear shock damper piston for consistent performance under demanding riding conditions.
- Compact twin-piston front-brake caliper, anodized-aluminum brake pistons and lightweight front-brake disc minimize unsprung weight for improved turning and handling.
- HRC works-type rear brake system integrates the rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the need for a separate reservoir and hose assembly.
- Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, seat and footpeg height to place the rider's legs at the narrowest cross-section of the frame for improved comfort and handling feel.
- Rear-brake pedal and shift lever are made of lightweight aluminum and are designed to complement the riding position. Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master-cylinder design.
- Wide, cleated, stainless steel footpegs are self-cleaning, resist corrosion, provide excellent grip and fold for extra ground clearance.
- Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to help reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
- Handlebar holders provide two different mounting positions to match rider preference.
- Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
- Adjustable front-brake lever.
- Hot-start lever conveniently located on clutch perch.
- Quick-adjust clutch perch.
- Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and caliper from damage.
- Removable rear subframe allows for easy maintenance.
- Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.
- Stainless-steel clutch cable for long life.
- Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.
- When you buy a new Honda Powersports Product, you may be eligible to receive a complimentary one-year membership in the Honda Riders Club of America®, which includes an exclusive Members-only magazine, rider training benefits, access to the Members-only Clubhouse Web site and much more. Some limitations apply. For more information on the HRCA®, log on to hrca.honda.com.