Powersports / Motorcycles / Sport / CBR1000RR / Features
2012 Honda CBR1000RR Features and Benefits
Honda's CBR1000RR is the essential superbike—the perfect balance of power and handling designed to work together as one complete package. The CBR900RR set the bar for liter-bike performance when it was introduced 20 years ago, and the new 2012 CBR1000RR sets that bar even higher. For 2012, the CBR1000RR boasts even better handling via a patented Balance-Free Rear Shock, Big Piston Fork and new wheels. Add to that a 999cc engine pumping out huge midrange horsepower and torque for class-leading real-world muscle, and you have a high-performance package unmatched in its overall balance by the competition. In addition, new aggressive bodywork aids aerodynamic flow and high-speed handling, and new LCD instrumentation including a lap timer, five-level shift indicator and more, redefine the pure essence of liter-class sportbikes.
New for 2012
- Unit Pro-Link® rear suspension features a new, patented Balance-Free Rear Shock from Showa that incorporates a unique double-tube design featuring a damper case plus an internal cylinder for more responsive damping and a smoother, better-controlled damping action.
- The new 43mm fork incorporates Showa's latest Big Piston Fork technology with a larger damping volume to effectively reduce the hydraulic pressure generated as the fork legs compress and extend. The result is more precise action during the initial stroke and smoother damping action, for improved handling, enhanced front-end feedback and a more solid feel during hard braking.
- New 12-spoke cast aluminum wheels provide more consistent rigidity. Together with the new suspension, these wheels offer improved feedback for the rider.
- New layered fairing design creates a large pocket of calm air around the rider to improve comfort while also helping draw air through the cooling system. An integrated chin spoiler in the nose also reduces aerodynamic lift to improve handling.
- Multi-function LCD instruments communicate all important information plus the option of four readout modes for tachometer display, lap timer, five-level shift indicator, gear position indicator and more. New revised fuel injection settings give the CBR1000RR a more linear response, particularly at smaller throttle openings.
- Revisions to the optional Electronic Combined ABS create a new bias toward sporting/track riding conditions during rear brake application.
- New Red and Pearl White/Blue/Red colors join Black. (C-ABS model available in Red only.)
- MotoGP-derived Honda Electronic Steering Damper (HESD).
- Patented slipper clutch features cam mechanism to reduce clutch-lever pull.
- Centrally located fuel tank increases mass centralization for a more compact frame design.
- Iconic Honda Wing tank badge.
- Lightweight aluminum sidestand.
- High-tech instrument display also features tachometer and LCD readouts for speedometer, coolant temperature, odometer/A&B tripmeters, clock, mpg, average fuel consumption and reserve fuel used. A low-fuel LED light and shift-indicator light are located above the LCD.
- Line-beam headlight features two-piece reflector design utilizing two H7 bulbs for optimum light distribution and unique compact design.
- LED taillights for lighter weight and improved appearance.
- Transferable one-year unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Compact, liquid-cooled DOHC 16-valve 999cc four-stroke inline four-cylinder engine features bore and stroke dimensions of 76mm x 55.1mm.
- Removable cylinder block with Nikasil-coated cylinders.
- Sixteen-valve cylinder head features 30.5mm intake and 24mm exhaust valves with a 12.3:1 compression ratio for efficient combustion and high horsepower.
- Titanium intake valves create a lighter valve train and feature double-spring design for optimum performance at high rpm.
- Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system ensures high-rpm durability and allows 16,000-mile valve maintenance intervals.
- Programmed Dual Stage Fuel Injection (PGM-DSFI).
- 46mm throttle bodies feature Denso injectors with lightweight valving for faster reaction time and 12 holes per injector to optimize mixture atomization, combustion efficiency and power.
- Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) minimizes torque reaction and smooths response to small throttle changes through gradual reductions of air and fuel intake when the throttle is opened and closed.
- Ignition Interrupt Control system works with IACV and PGM-FI mapping to enhance rideability.
- MotoGP-derived twin-tunnel ram-air system allows a high volume of cool air to the 9.7-liter airbox for linear power delivery and incredible engine performance.
- Compact, low-mount exhaust system design reduces rear bodywork size and incorporates exhaust valve and catalyst, contributing to significantly improved mass centralization and reducing roll and yaw inertia.
- Patented slipper-clutch design uses a center cam-assist mechanism for easier actuation. Unlike an ordinary slipper clutch where the pressure plate moves from side to side, the Honda clutch moves both the center cam assist and the pressure plate to provide additional slipper effect.
- Lightweight four-piece Fine Die-Cast twin-spar aluminum frame utilizes latest MotoGP technology.
- MotoGP-derived, next-generation Honda Electronic Steering Damper (HESD).
- 43mm fork incorporates Showa's latest Big Piston Fork technology with a larger damping volume to effectively reduce the hydraulic pressure generated as the fork legs compress and extend. The result is more precise action during the initial stroke and smoother damping action, for improved handling, enhanced front-end feedback and a more solid feel during hard braking.
- Exclusive, MotoGP-derived Unit Pro-Link rear suspension features a new, patented Balance-Free Rear Shock from Showa that incorporates a unique double-tube design featuring a damper case plus an internal cylinder for more responsive damping and a smoother, better-controlled damping action.
- Radial-mounted monoblock four-piston front calipers feature chromium-plated aluminum pistons and squeeze lightweight 320mm floating discs in front and a 220mm rear disc with a single-piston caliper for exceptional stopping power.
- CBR1000RR ABS features Honda's Electronic Combined ABS. This all-new Electronic Control Module (ECM), hydraulically actuated system provides accurate braking-force distribution to both wheels. ABS is controlled by a hydroelectronic unit and stroke simulator to ensure precise operation. Benefits include consistent lever pressure without the pulsing often associated with ABS systems. Application of rear brake does not result in immediate front brake activation unless lock-up is sensed, allowing an experienced rider to use rear brake in a normal manner during spirited riding. Combined ABS components are smaller and lighter than conventional hydraulic ABS designs, and have been located nearer to the center of the machine, enhancing mass centralization and reducing unsprung weight.
Honda Genuine Accessories*
- Color-Matched Passenger Seat Cowl, Carbon Fiber Front Tank Trim, Carbon Fiber License Plate Frame, Carbon Fiber Fuel Lid Cover, Carbon Fiber Tank Pad, Carbon Fiber Knee Pads, Outdoor Cycle Cover, "E-Cushion" Seat for greater comfort, Rear Tire Hugger, HRC Power-Up Kit for Racing (Track Use Only)